What counts as Christian Service?
- Service must be something that benefits others: This is the fundamental goal of service: to help others.
- You cannot get paid or be given credit in any way for the activity.
- The organization may not benefit monetarily from your service.
- Parents are not permitted to supervise or sign off student hours.
- Aired on BDTV
- Discussed at Cardinal Time
- Community Service Board in the library
- On the school website under Life at Bishop
- Visit the Dean of Students for additional opportunities
Step #3 Do your service…with great love!
Step #4 Turn in your COMPLETED service form to the basket in the library.
Step #5 Repeat above steps until you’ve reached 25. Due dates for each semester
- Fall Semester: December 20, 2019
- Spring Semester: April 22, 2020.
Upcoming Community Service Opportunities
***Christian Service Opportunities***
VOLUNTEER @ THE SANTA BARBARA FOOD BANK
Food insecurity is perhaps one of the greatest issues this community faces. By volunteering your time or donating nonperishable food items to the food bank, you are ensuring that members of your community get to enjoy nutritious, healthy foods to keep themselves healthy this summer. Learn more on the Foodbank's website https://foodbanksbc.
Ever wonder how volunteering at the Santa Barbara Zoo makes a difference? View https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUIMT5tsZuA
to see how our volunteers earn community service hours, gain work experience, and meet new friends all while Saving Animals From Extinction! For more details of zoo opportunities visit https://www.sbzoo.org/more/volunteer/#teens
Nonprofit Resource Network is a way to connect with your community, world organizations, break into the nonprofit world, and make your community a better place. Here’s how this resource is relevant to you: it connects people in Santa Barbara who care about making the world a better place. How does it do that? In many ways, but in your case, through the Volunteer Connect page. Through this page, organizations post their volunteer needs. Simply go to https://nprnsb.org/volunteer-connect/ to register as a volunteer.
Non-Profit Organizations in the Santa Barbara Area
Students are not limited to serving from this list only. These are merely suggestions:
- American Heart Association – 805-963-8862 or https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/
- American Red Cross – 805-687-1331 or http://www.redcross.org/local/california/central-california/local-chapters/pacific-coast
- Assistance League of Santa Barbara – 805-898-1967 or http://www.assistanceleaguesb.com/
- Catholic Charities of Santa Barbara – 805-965-7045 or https://catholiccharitiesusa.org/get-involved
- Boys and Girls Club of Santa Barbara – 805-962-2382 or http://www.boysgirls.org/
- BUNS – Bunnies Urgently Needing Shelter - http://www.bunssb.org/volunteer/ 805-683-0521 or email@example.com
- DAWG (Dog Adoption & Welfare Group) – 805-681-0561 or https://www.sbdawg.org/volunteer/
- Direct Relief International – 805-964-4767 or https://www.directrelief.org/
- Food Bank of Santa Barbara – 805-967-5741 or http://foodbanksbc.org/
- Girls Inc. of Santa Barbara – 805-963-4757 or http://girlsincsb.org/
- Goleta Boys and Girls Club – 805-967-5399 or https://www.bgca.org/
- Habitat for Humanity – 805-692-2226 or https://www.habitat.org/
- HEARTS Therapeutic Equestrian Center – 805-964-1519 or www.heartsriding.org/volunteer
- Make-a-Wish Foundation – 805-676-94474 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nature Track – 805-886-2047 or http://www.naturetrack.org
- Peer Buddies – 805-620-7337 http://www.peerbuddies.com/Home.html
- Santa Barbara Safety Town – 805-252-7998 or http://www.sbsafetytown.org/
- Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital – 805-569-7357 or email@example.com
- Santa Barbara Dream Foundation –805-564-2131 or http://www.dreamfoundation.org/generation-dream
- Santa Barbara Family YMCA – 805-687-7727 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Santa Barbara Humane Society – 805-964-4777 or https://www.sbhumanesociety.org/give/volunteers/
- Santa Barbara Public Library System Homework Help – 805-964-7878 or http://www.santabarbaraca.gov/gov/depts/lib/getinvolved/volunteer.asp
- Santa Barbara Rescue Mission – 805 966-1316 or http://www.sbrm.org/about-sbrm/volunteer
- Santa Barbara YMCA – 805-687-7727 or http://www.ymca.net/volunteer/
- Santa Barbara Zoo – 805-962-5339 or email@example.com
- Special Olympics – 805-884-1516 or https://www.sosc.org/santabarbara
- Teddy Bear Cancer Foundation – 805-962-7466 or https://www.teddybearcancerfoundation.org/volunteer
- Teen Court of Santa Barbara – 805-730-7575
- Transition House – 805-966-9668 or https://transitionhouse.com/
- Unity Shoppe – 805-965-4122 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your local parish/church /synagogue…
Total Christian service hours to be completed by the end of each school year:
- Freshmen – 25 (or more)
- Sophomores – 50 (or more)
- Juniors – 75 (or more)
- Seniors – 100 (or more)
Have questions or need support? Please contact Dean of Students, Ms. Carr