Counseling and Student Services
Bishop’s Counseling and Students Services Division works closely with all students to ensure they are reaching their highest academic potential.
All students are provided with an academic plan that exceeds University of California and California State University entrance requirements.
- Counselors meet individually with parents and students to discuss class scheduling, academic progress and other questions pertaining to academic planning. When students experience challenges or wish to expand their studies, counselors facilitate meetings with teachers and provide information or referrals as appropriate.
- All transfer students’ grades are tracked to ensure a smooth transition to Bishop.
- Students participate in the College Board’s PSAT standardized testing program annually. The results are used to continue guiding students in their academic planning and college choices.
- Parents and students are invited to attend college-planning workshops throughout their academic career at Bishop. These include presentations on college planning, the University of California, the California State University system, applying to colleges using the Common Application and funding higher education.
- Students and parents meet individually with college counselors starting in the junior year to begin finding colleges that are the best match for student’s interests and strengths.
- Counselors make classroom visits to highlight leadership, enrichment and scholarship opportunities. College representatives are invited to visit with students on Bishop’s campus.
- Awards ceremonies highlight and celebrate academic accomplishments.
- On campus SAT/ACT Test Preparation is available to students.
Academic and College Planning by Grade Level
- Parent Information Night in fall provides an overview of graduation and college entrance requirements.
- Personalized four-year academic plan developed with each student in the fall.
- Online “College & Career Folder” created using Naviance college and career planning tools.
- Students use Naviance for an online career interest and aptitude assessment.
- Parents and students meet in small groups with academic counselor to update four-year academic, summer and college plans.
- Individual meetings with college counselors to begin finding colleges that are the best match for student’s interests and strengths.
- Parent Information Night in spring.
- College application classroom presentations in the fall.
- Parent and student college application planning meetings with college counselor.
- University of California, California State University and Common Application workshops offered by college representatives on Bishop’s campus.
- Personal statement and college essay review offered.
- Financial Aid Workshop for students and parents in winter.